Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Is Prepping a "Hobby"?

Is Prepping a "Hobby"? 1 year, 6 months ago #4955

• Thaddeus
  • Platinum Boarder
I have come across the notion by some people that view prepping as a "hobby". I always thought a hobby was something you did in your spare time for enjoyment....if your resources allowed it. I do not see how golf will help you survive someday....so I would like to get your thoughts on the matter.

Re: Is Prepping a "Hobby"? 1 year, 6 months ago #4956

• Cina31373
Hmmm hobby not to me for me it is a job that needs to be done but I do enjoy doing it because I know I am working to keep my Family safe. I also enjoy a job well done.

Re: Is Prepping a "Hobby"? 1 year, 6 months ago #4959

I guess it could be viewed as a hobby. I find enjoyment doing it. It is fun. I like the challenge. It is not much different than a sport, more a collection of outdoors/sporting activities. It is not much different than forming a fantasy football league. I just don't want to play the game later.

Re: Is Prepping a "Hobby"? 1 year, 6 months ago #4963

• AfleetAlex
Its what you make of it. To some, its considered a hobby. We all have different levels of commitment. Some of us look at others as not really preparing, others look at us individually as not doing enough. Its all speculation.

Re: Is Prepping a "Hobby"? 1 year, 6 months ago #4965

Hobby? No... This is no hobby, not to me anyway. 100 years ago we would not be called preppers, we would have been good folks just trying to make a life for our family and more importantly a life for our grandchildren.

When I was a child I didn't have to worry about the political environment, I didn't have to worry about how to protect myself from half crazed gunmen coming into my school to kill me, I was trained to use a gun to hunt rabbit and such... not to defend myself from another person with it.

I may be a bit different than most preppers... maybe not. But it bothers me to no end that I have to teach my 11 year old daughter how to defend herself in a shooting at school or at the gas station, and how to use a gun to defend herself. My daughter knows more about guns at 11 years old than I did at 21 years of age.

I have ran into a few preppers here in the state and I am amazed at how many look at prepping as food and supplies, ammunition to hunt with, etc but how few of those folks that are ill prepared to defend it and those that are not willing to do the unthinkable to defend it.

Is this a hobby for me? No, most definitely not. For me, it means the difference between life or death.

If it does ever happen that we have to rely on our supplies and training to survive, which I believe it will, then we are going to have to look past our immediate group and look at the bigger picture.

The Surgeon
Last Edit: 1 year, 6 months ago by The_Surgeon.

Re: Is Prepping a "Hobby"? 1 year, 6 months ago #4969

• Cyclops01
  • Platinum Boarder
Prepping is not a hobby; it's a lifestyle.

Cyclops

Re: Is Prepping a "Hobby"? 1 year, 6 months ago #4985

• Thaddeus
  • Platinum Boarder
It seems that this is a much different world now from what I grew up in. No one gave it a second though when they saw a pickup truck with a full gun rack. Of course, the only things that were shot were beer bottles and wildlife. People did not lock their doors at night and left their keys in the ignition while they did their shopping. People stopped to help if you were having car trouble, and it seemed everyone was always looking out for each other…if you knew them or not. All of this has changed. I think the only thing that hasn’t changed is that folks that live out the country rarely lock their doors at night….because they don’t need to.

These days, it seems there is no sense of community, no sense of belonging…like there once was. Civility has decreased, while violence and depravity as increased. When I watch shows like, “The Andy Griffith Show” and “Leave it to Beaver” it is very difficult for me to believe our lives at one point in time resembled that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chief

Re: Is Prepping a "Hobby"? 1 year, 6 months ago #4987

• Cyclops01
  • Platinum Boarder
Thaddeus,

It was even nicer during the 50's. Way to often, I wish I could go back in time, or suffer the kind of dementia that makes me think I am. (As opposed to the kind of dementia that has me swatting at invisible flying bugs)

.-(

Cyclops

Re: Is Prepping a "Hobby"? 1 year, 6 months ago #4988

• Chief
  • Expert Boarder
When I hunt or fish I feed myself and others (sometimes), When I filled out my profile that was a hobby, I assumed that was because I wasn’t getting paid, by some advertising agency or holding someone’s hand that needs held, to do it.

Because I enjoy it and do it only when I want to, I don’t need to be paid to teach Safety and Handgun Shooting Techniques, so that’s now a hobby.

I spend most of my spare time and a substantial amount of money, (not needed to do life stuff) learning and using what I learn to prepare for what I believe is eventually going to happen. And not if …when.

If I’m ever ask, depending on who is asking, I’m likely to say, “It’s a hobby”. Why? A Prepper is not going to ask, and my family already knows.

Is it a life style? The time Thaddeus alluded to, is a time I was growing up. People didn’t throw away things that could be fixed or used for some other purpose. We tried to find ways to make “a little” go as far as it could. (Love the laundry soap) So yes it’s definitely a life style.

Label it… don’t label it… but by all means keep on training.
Last Edit: 1 year, 6 months ago by Chief.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.62 seconds