Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Re-using things for prepping?

Re-using things for prepping? 4 years, 9 months ago #9940

• Cina31373
I seen a post here about drinking straws being used as mini containers and I posted about cat food bags. Do you have something that would work great at little or no cost post it here.

Re: Re-using things for prepping? 4 years, 9 months ago #9943

• Martin S.
PVC pipe with end caps, I use them to hold my navigation charts. They are water proof and float.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cina31373

Re: Re-using things for prepping? 4 years, 9 months ago #9945

• Puppy Mama
  • Platinum Boarder
Sad, lonely sole survivor socks from the pair that went into the laundry - with rice, a moisture absorber for supplies going into buckets; with baking soda and dried flower petals, a sachet to dry out and de-ordorize boots and athletic shoes.

Bread twisty ties get used to hold stakes to my deck rails as cross spars for some of my climbing plants.

Re: Re-using things for prepping? 4 years, 9 months ago #9956

• Clip5135
  • Gold Boarder
Empty Chapstick containers make very handy pill holders or a place to hide some spare cash just trim the center stem and reassemble.

The foam trays that meat come package with have many uses, I cover them with plastic wrap and use them as molds when I quick freeze fish before vac sealing.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 4 years, 9 months ago by Clip5135. Reason: Spelling
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dannyboy, Cina31373, Martin S.

Re: Re-using things for prepping? 4 years, 9 months ago #9962

• Caribou
  • Expert Boarder
Clear glass jars with lids get turned into emergency candles. Once they are cool I toss a book of matches on top and put the watertight lid on.
Last Edit: 4 years, 9 months ago by Caribou.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cina31373, labratsemo, Martin S.

Re: Re-using things for prepping? 4 years, 9 months ago #9965

• Clip5135
  • Gold Boarder
Caribou wrote:
. Once they are cool I toss a book of matches on top the put the watertight lid on.

One of the things I try to account for is the fact that I might not be the one that ends up using something so I try to solve as many problems ahead of time as possible.
My Bags all have a list of what's in them and where it's at right on top, I learned from a friend to tape sealed water purification tablets to my water bottles

Re: Re-using things for prepping? 4 years, 9 months ago #9977

• Cina31373
Loving y'all's posts!! Thank you and keep them coming!

Re: Re-using things for prepping? 4 years, 9 months ago #9995

• GinnyLouWho
  • Platinum Boarder
I have a storage case for a mini flat iron that I'm using for a small flashlight with extra batteries.

It would also make a great mini first aid kit. Use the straw storage idea to store pain relievers, anti-biotic cream,q-tips, etc. etc. add band aids and anything else you deem necessary and you have a nice waterproof mini first aid kit.

Re: Re-using things for prepping? 4 years, 8 months ago #10982

• Puppy Mama
  • Platinum Boarder
I looked around my house and realized that not only do I have a serious problem throwing things away (it's the greenie thing, not the hoarder thing) but also that some of the stuff I consider obvious might not be. So I hope I'm not wasting anybody's time with these.

Peanut butter jars - I keep a little rice and my seeds in them because most of my seeds stay 2-4 years but get pulled out of the freezer so I can plot and plan my little container gardens and stack up each packet of seeds in the order of the tubs and buckets they'll go in as I draw out my garden plans each year (OCD, too; I'm a peach of a woman to live with).

Peanut butter jars - ice water holders for the pups on outings 'cause they bounce some when they get dropped and have wider openings than my water bottles, although they don't have the loops for a clip. If they leak, I just wrap a little of the non-sticky plumbers tape around them. Edit: around the threads

Peanut butter jars - hold some of the "give away" supplies and help organize some of the things in my bags and boxes (fishing gear, cordage that would be sensitive to dampness, first aid kit sections)

Peanut butter jars - sealed with the plumbers tape and caulk hold some of the animals' prescriptions and shot records and some of our paperwork folded up because when they're sealed they float.

Peanut butter jars - sprouting jars for clutzes who should limit the glass in their homes

Peanut butter jars - storage for open dry beans, refrigerating meal-sized soup

TP and paper towel rolls - stuff with lint for fire starter
TP and paper towel rolls - get trimmed down and used as small seed starters because they break down pretty quickly and I can use them to control which soil depth baby plants are using when I plant (carrots still won't transplant even using them, for me, anyway)

Ball-point pens (cheap ones) - a certain color have $$ twisted tight and are stuck in various places in bags and the vehicles because they're easy to get apart but don't attract much notice unless you've been gasped at and I've rescued my pen and $100 from my trash bag. (Eeeekkkk!!!! Possibly for single-driver vehicles only.)

Plastic utensils - get washed, then a hole, and I use them to hang on trees and shrubs to keep track of grafting and air layering dates and parent plants and varieties

Broken clothes hangers - become seedling stake-type tags to tell me what is what when I've got multiple varieties of plants started

No-mate socks - can get whacked into strips and used as garden ties
No-mate socks - G-rated version: If it absorbs sweat, it can absorb other bodily fluids, so rolling them into tight little wads with dress socks designated for the garden and thick ones designated for hygiene is totally not hoarding

Coffee grounds and tea leaves - can go right into small garden planters and pots; no composting needed, so even if composting isn't an option, some fertilizer costs can go down

Broken nail trimmers - Could one day be needed as a fishing spoon, although I don't keep many

Cracked jars, empty jars, no-lid Tupperware, cracked Tupperware - get used to prop up squash and melons in gardens (cans, too, but metal recycles more efficiently than plastic or glass and the jars that are just empty will multipurpose, so my collection has been winnowed down to just those, sadly)

Glass jars from olives, etc. - melt a little wax, stick a 4-6" emergency candle (dollar store, 6-pack, $1, 30 hours of light) in the puddle, let it dry, add matches and a few other candles around it, and there's a water resistant lamp globe that only needs a hot pot holder to use

Cracked tile from renovations - glue into a stack two thick, glass plate holder for candle lanterns or hot pots; can look cute if you get froggy and smack a bunch, use mortar to hold them to a thin sheet of wood with little triangle "legs" stapled or nailed to it, and make a little collage kind of deal; also works as a coaster for iced tea pitchers and a good kid project

I'm sure we know this one:
Soda bottles of all sizes can be used to store grains, beans, and pebble-sized dehydrated products like peas, minced onion, chopped herbs and carrots.
If we didn't know this one:
- sticky-dehydrated stuff doesn't work well unless you want to cut the bottom off with your pocket knife while hiking
- I don't use many because they don't stack well and there is a lot of space lost at the necks in storage, but 20 oz goes into .750 wine cases with small cans of tuna or chicken in the bottom and something soft to fill in the neck like spare washcloths, hankies and bandanas, diaper cloth or cloth feminine pads (unused because I don't care that pine sol makes everything new, just no), mini packs of kleenex, or rolls of TP that squish down onto the necks good. 2 liter bottles go in 6-bottle magnum wine cases with similar stuff around the neck and have less lost space than the smaller bottles, it seems like.

Too damaged/worn to donate:
Old light fixtures - The bulb globes can get glued onto a fire-proof glass plate with heat-resistant epoxy and turned into candle lamps

Patio furniture - plastic chairs with a grid pattern back or seat or mesh-top, mesh-back, mesh-seat chairs and tables that are too far gone can become trellis material, tied or nailed to uprights, good for squash in some cases but almost always for pole beans and peas

Shoe laces - The soft, flat ones and the fatter round ones that aren't too "bumpy" get used to help support some of the plants in the garden when the shoes are too worn out to go to Goodwill or Salvation Army; military boot laces are kind of abrasive and will rub some plants, especially if there is wind, but it's free cord, man. Cordage of all kinds (cloth giftwrapping ribbon to 550 to tow chain) is kind of a weakness.

Stoves, toaster ovens, grills - the legs can come off to be used for projects like the hotplate holders or the next time a leg pops off an appliance and enters an alternate plane of existence and the grill parts make totally excellent climbing trellises for plants

Beat-up "catted" or "dogged" horizontal blinds - a few slats at a time can be chopped out with scissors and the top can be secured to two posts or a deck rail (neighbors have hated me all over the U.S.) and also become trellis material

Old pillows + stained towels - can be whacked apart and rearranged and hand-sewn to make window and door draft stoppers with animal faces and ears and tails, and you can draw on stripes and spots with little kids and have a really good time (not recommended for households where stuffed animals or things on the floor are the province of destructive dogs)

Old towels - once past the stage where dog towels become pony rags, I still keep a few on hand and more in buckets outside somewhere (not heat sensitive) because...
1 - if it absorbs water from the body surface, it can absorb things that come out of the body,
2 - layer a few and stick them in a drawer to pad it for an ad hoc cradle if necessary,
3 - my parents will eventually go back to needing a bed liner, especially if they end up with a cold,
4 - I would rather not have my good towels be the table pad for cleaning guns and Boy Toy does not stain enough plain t-shirts,
5 - I would rather not have my decent towels get used when some appliance leaks or it becomes necessary to spread out 5,000 dirty pieces of a motorcycle or truck engine
6 - rolled up, a towel covered by a t-shirt is actually not a bad pillow in a pinch if you end up bunking more people than intended or pillows run flat; no need to pluck feathers that will end up poking you in the nose in your sleep this way
7 - Thin strips make not bad plant ties
(Everything that applies to towels applies to old bathrobes)

I swear I'm not really cheap. I just hate throwing stuff away. Think of the sea turtles and asthmatics. :o(
Last Edit: 4 years, 8 months ago by Puppy Mama. Reason: Clarification
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dannyboy, Cina31373, foslhntr, labratsemo, Legaleaseconsult, OhDona, dutch, Dr D

Re: Re-using things for prepping? 4 years, 8 months ago #10990

• Clip5135
  • Gold Boarder
Puppy Mama wrote:
I looked around my house and realized that not only do I have a serious problem throwing things away (it's the greenie thing, not the hoarder thing) but also that some of the stuff I consider obvious might not be. So I hope I'm not wasting anybody's time . :o(

I Picked up a few ideas and conceived of a few improvements from your list, it's never a waist time if you get a shred of information. I have sat through literally 100's of horrible youtube videos while researching articles just hopping for that sliver of light, I have been disappointed a few times though.

Thanks for taking the time away for BT (boy toy) to type that out
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cina31373, OhDona
Time to create page: 0.57 seconds